Coursepress categories are automatically created form import
Coursepress category description text can be edited in admin > coursepress > coursepress categories
Importing CoursePress Courses
Coursepress courses are imported in 3 parts:
a CoursePress Category (eg Fire Marshall),
A CoursePress Course (eg Fire Marshall___31-03-2016)
A WooCommerce Product (eg Fire Marshall___31-03-2016 with associated price)
It is the WooCommerce Product that the users purchase
To import a list of courses, the format of the import file is very important
the file must be a CSV
dates have to be in american format (if the date format of all dates is not correct, the dates will show as the unix epoch date (1-1-1970))
the columns have to match with those in the importer settings screen
- any changes to the category names (eg locations, course name) will result in new categories being added, and all existing courses within the old category being moved to the new category
- CoursePress category descriptions are not automatically created on import - these will have to be manually added
- menu's (eg the top dropdown menu) are not automatically adjusted after category changes
amend where there is a match with an existing course, adding where there is no match and delete courses not present in the import file
amend where there is a match with an existing course, adding where there is no match and keeping courses not present in the import file
It is recommended NOT to use the 'delete courses not present in the import file' as it will remove these courses from users order history and form sales reports (the importer is set to keep all courses and append where needed)
To perform an Import
navigate to admin > all import > Manage Imports
There are two current imports:
ID 1 - product import for supplies
ID 4 - CoursePress Import
These are pre-configured with the agreed column settings to import into the correct fields
you can view the field assignments by hovering over the import and selecting 'Edit Import'
To import a new file, using the same settings, hover over the import and click 'import settings'
click 'import file' and browse to the location of the CSV file on your computer
The unique identifier should not be changed, this is mapped to existing courses and products in the database.
Click 'Save Import Configuration'
- You will be taken to the Manage Import screen
- click the 'Run Import' button
- follow any on-screen instructions
To view newly created course, click on the 'history log' link in the "all import > manage imports" screen
The summary section will show how many newly created courses there are
if there are 0 created courses (eg this is an update of existing courses) then no further action is required.
if there are created courses, then each of the created courses needs to be 'linked' to a woocommerce product (these are created automatically during the wizard)
You can use the log file to search for 'created' to show the names of the newly created courses
- (you may have a more efficient way of identifying the newly created courses - eg creating an import only containing new courses and working from that sheet)
from the coursepress > courses listing screen, pick one of the newly created courses
- the wizard will open
- each of the steps will be marked with a green tick when it is completed
- each section has to be completed for the woocommerce product to be created
- data is already filled for section 1 from the import - click next
- data is already filled for section 2 from the import - click next
- section 3 can be left at the default settings as this is not used in your configuration - click next
- section 4: click the checkbox for 'this course has no end date' - this is required for users order history
- section 4: enter the start date of the course if not already present (dates must be in american format, its best to use the calendar widget here)
- section 4: tick the box for users can enroll at any time
- section 4: click next
- section 5: this is unused in your configuration, click next
- section 6: this is where the woocommerce product is created and linked
- section 6: the enroll dropdown is unused in your configuration, so can be left at default
- section 6: tick the box for this is a paid course
- section 6: make sure 'generate sku' is un-checked - these are created automatically from the 'identifier' in the import
- section 6: enter the course price
- click the 'done' button to generate and link the woocommerce product.
Editing a CoursePress Category Description
1. From the dashboard, hover over 'CoursePress' in the left sidebar, and click 'Course Categories'
2. Click on the Course Category you wish to edit (use the search bar if you're struggling to find it)
3. Input your content.
4. For the content area you wish to only be visible once the user has clicked the 'Read More' button, you'll need to wrap that particular content within the following tags:
[expand title="Read More" swaptitle="Read Less"]
Your content goes in here
It's important that you remember both tags before and after the content otherwise it will break the page.
5. Once happy with the content, click the 'Update' button at bottom of page.